Sunday 10 August 2014

What's the craic in Krakow?


As I type this witty and insightful blog, the Polish countryside is passing by. I'm on route to my next stop which is Prague in Czech Republic. Eastern Europe is amazing and I loved every minute in Krakow. 



I arrived Wednesday evening and spent three nights at Greg and Tom Party Hostel. It certainly lived up to its name! Great food, staff and atmosphere. If you're looking for a quiet stay in Krakow then try elsewhere! £13 a night and that includes breakfast, dinner and a few intoxicating refreshments each evening. They love Vodka over here.



Party hostel


Scaring Canadian travellers

So what have I been up to besides losing my dignity, morals and soul in Krakow? After arriving at 11pm on the first night and going straight on the bar crawl, a chilled day was needed on Thursday. My partner in crime (Pete the self proclaimed 'Waste man' and maths genius) and I headed to the Market Square to grab some food. A stunning part of the city with great architecture, shops and such a chilled atmosphere. We then scooted down to the Jewish Quarter of the city which was pretty nice too. The bar crawl followed again (a pattern is forming here) and it didn't disappoint! 
Horsey

Dance battle

Market square

Giving head

Market square church

Quirky restaurant

When I finally surfaced from my pit the next day, we booked up a day trip to Auschwitz. I've been looking forward to this for a long time as I think it's somewhere so important to visit. It truly is harrowing to stand in a gas chamber with scratch marks all over the walls and walk through the barracks where such terrible crimes were committed. Seeing a whole room full of human hair that was taken from the victims by the Nazis for use in textiles was surreal. The size of the camp is mind blowing and it's shocking to think of the scale of the brutality that took place. It's impossible to imagine what they went through but to even gain a small insight is so important. 


Work sets you free Auschwitz sign




Gas chamber




It was our last night in Krakow and after a heavy day we decided that another bar crawl was needed. This one got a bit crazy and a lot of glasses were smashed by some nutters during pre-drinks! Again it was awesome as the clubs here are great. 

Pre drinks

Waste men

I've only had a few hours sleep and it didn't help that we got to the train station 2 hours early by mistake. We are so unorganised but far more fun winging it and not really planning out what happens next! This 8 hour journey isn't too bad so far and I'm buzzing to get to Prague this evening. We're going on the Prague pub crawl tonight so it'll be great to see lots of the city and sink further in to the realms of alcoholism and debauchery. I love travelling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment