Monday 25 August 2014

Down by the sea in Split

Best night train I've had as I actually managed to get a bit of sleep! Still not the comfiest way to travel though! It was so nice to walk out of the station and have the sea right in front of you. Such a beautiful place to visit. The streets are picturesque and have small alleyways with lots of shops and restaurants. I was right next to the old palace walls which surround a small area of Split. Nearly as beautiful as Venice and it certainly reminded me of it in some ways. 


Old Palace walls

Market

So my first stop was to climb the bell tower to get a view of everything. Well worth the steep climb to the top! Afterwards I checked in to Booze and Snooze hostel but there would be no boozing for me as I had a nasty cold! A pretty good hostel and very central. After a kip I went exploring for the rest of the day. So nice to just get lost in a new place as you see so much more. A filthy mixed grill and a walk to the beaches followed which was so nice at sunset. 

Narrow beautiful streets

Sea front

Streets of Split
 
Bell tower view




The next day I visited Hvar island which is about an hour from Split. Such a beautiful island. I spent the day there climbing to the top of a fortress which overlooked the island. Again the views were amazing! I also sunbathed and had a swim while I was on Hvar as well as destroying a load of food! A great island to visit and next time I'm here I'll party as Hvar is meant to have amazing nightlife. 


Hvar island

Half way up the steep climb


At the top!

Love this place

I bloody love food





So my two days in Split were spent chilling and viewing some amazing scenery. It was nice to relax for a bit as interrailing can be quite hectic at times. My next stop is Rome! As I'm so unorganised I've been forced to get a flight there as my route has been so unplanned it would take 24 hours plus on the train to get there. When will I learn!? 

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment