Tuesday 14 May 2013

Cambodia!

I spent around a week in Cambodia and it was great to visit another country. It would have been a shame not to try out other parts of South East Asia so I forgot about my overdraft/being financially ruined upon my return to the shores of England and just went for it!
My first stop was Siem Reap. This is where the famous Angkor Wat temple is and if that's too cultural then you have Pub Street with many bars and clubs! It was a nice to see the temples and also experience the nightlife as too much culture can send you to sleep.
Cambodian sunset

Best place for drinks

Ridiculously cheap drinks

Great advertising

Yummy

A bar down pub street

Outside my hotel

Made the most of these cheap cocktails

Wish I tried this!

Bloody love ice cream

The best tuk-tuk ever!

Some nutter cycling with a table attached to his bike

Angkor Wat

Reflection pool outside Angkor Wat

Some monks causing trouble

Trees growing out of the temple

Nose to nose!

Tour guide having a laugh

Elephant!
Next I went to the capital of Cambodia which is Phnom Penh. Mixed feelings about this place mainly because I caught tonsillitis and was confined to my bed for most of it! However I did drag myself out of bed to visit the Killing Fields and S-21 prison. Before I arrived to Asia I'd never heard of the genocide that took place in the 70's in Cambodia and I find it pretty shocking that we're not taught it in school in the UK. 3 million out of the 8 million people who lived in Cambodia were murdered and the torture that took place is unbelievable. The monument at the Killing Fields has a tall glass tower inside which contains over 8000 human skulls dug up from the area. Seems a pretty gruesome thing to display but it really gets the point across.

Human bone on the walk around the killing fields

Newly discovered human remains

Over 8000 skulls

Hard to believe

Great restaurant name!
On to something more positive. The beach! My final stop was Sihanoukville which is on the south coast. Not much of party place as I'd hoped but it was good to chill there and Otres beach is gorgeous. 

Massive Lion balls. Whoever designed this is having a good laugh now!

Chilling

Gorgeous beach


After my quick tour of Cambodia I got my Vietnam visa sorted and went to Ho Chi Minh City and then on to Nha Trang. I'll be blogging about Vietnam soon! I'm off fishing and snorkeling in the morning which I'm looking forward to. Sadly after that I have a 28 hour train journey up north to Hanoi tomorrow night! Going to be hell but looking forward to getting there!

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment