Thursday 4 September 2014

Last stop - Bruges and Amsterdam

Bruges

My final Europe travel blog! I'm combining this last one as I was only in both places for a short time. So after being harassed by the crazy French bloke I was quite glad to get off the train and explore Bruges! I checked in to Lybeer hostel which was nice but definitely not a party hostel as advertised! As you walk around Bruges it's very picturesque and such a nice atmosphere in the evening. The square with the Belfry tower, horse drawn carriages and restaurants is beautiful and well worth going to see. I spent most of my time in an ice cream parlour (I'm a self confessed ice cream addict who is seeking counselling) and an amazing takeaway pasta restaurant!

Belfry tower




I even managed to watch some dancing one evening! I was tempted to join in but I didn't want to show up everyone with my world class dance routines. Afterwards I explored the streets and the beautiful canals that run through Bruges. I'd recommend a short trip to Bruges but not too long as there isn't loads to do. However I was quite happy to be sat in a nice pub one evening watching the footy and having a few happy hour Jupiler beers!

Yes chocolate!



Shake what your mama gave ya


Amsterdam

So what can I say about Amsterdam? It's amazing! I was staying in the Red Light District area which upon first reading does sound dodgy but it's really not! It's such a strange place as it's obviously seedy but at the same time it's beautiful. In the day it looks amazing with a canal running through it as you walk along the cobbled streets. Even at night when things get a bit perverted it's such a cool atmosphere. Everyone is walking around having a laugh as it's really weird having 'working girls' knocking on the windows trying to get you to 'try their services'! You don't take photos of them or I've been told they like to come outside and throw your camera in the canal! Overall a very surreal area of Amsterdam but something you have to see.

Red Light District





Dam square

As I only had one night in Amsterdam I wanted to make the most of it. This meant it was time to find a party! I stumbled upon a pub crawl and managed to join in. I met a few people and had a great night sampling a couple of bars and a club. The next day I wasn't feeling great so I just explored the high street which is near Dam square and on my travels I obviously had a massive filthy burger.






So that was it. My interrail journey was over. 1 month and 11 countries visited! I had such an amazing time and visited so many amazing sites during my travels. Thanks to all the people along the way who made it awesome. I move to Bournemouth on Monday so exciting times ahead and I'm already planning where to travel to next summer. I have a feeling Thailand could be on the cards again for a couple of months....Hard to beat that country and I think it's time for me to return!

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment